Gary

Gary
Gary Cooper

Friday, March 4, 2011

Corned beef short rib (step 2) Dinner a week in the making.

Yesterday was a crazy day. I worked the morning then went to a meeting in the afternoon and later in the day we had guests over for dinner. There was no way I could work out how to get the short ribs in the oven at the right time. That's when my wife said, "Doesn't the oven do the thing where it will do a time delay to start?"

So after lunch I took the zip top bag of short ribs out of the fridge. I rinsed them under cool water for a minute or so and put them in the big, heavy dutch oven. I added water to just barely cover and threw in two tablespoons of the pickling spice. I put foil over the top to prevent steam from escaping, since I wasn't going to be around to make sure the liquid was staying at the right level, and put on the lid and put it in the oven. Setting the oven required three tries and the user manual but once set I went off to my meeting.



When I got back to the house the aroma was intense. The familiar smell of corned beef was strong, but there was a difference. I want to call it a meatiness to the smell. Resisting the urge to pull the lid off we went about the rest of dinner preparations. At a total cook time of 3:45 (adjusting for the fact that the oven had to heat and the meat and braising liquid was cold), I took the pot out of the oven.

When I pulled the ribs out of the Dutch oven I noticed that the meat didn't just fall apart.



Of course I was worried that it wasn't going to be tender but the rib bones pulled out easily. I cut the tough connective tissue off the rib side and sliced it.

Foie gras is just liver. Truffles are simply mushrooms. This is just a car. This was just corned beef in the same way. There is a rich intensity that I have never had in corned beef before. The melted connective tissue and oozy fat with the salty beef created something more... It was foie gras, it was truffles, it was that car. I have made the corned beef recipe out of Charcuterie with brisket twice, but this was more. Just more.

Unfortunately none of the plated pictures came out. I am afraid it is up to you to picture the sliced short ribs, roasted new potatoes and braised red cabbage. For Corned beef short rib (step 1) click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment