Gary

Gary
Gary Cooper

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pot stickers.

Since I set up Gary's doghouse a month or so ago most of the posts have been around meat-based endeavors. This is a break from Charcutepalooza. Tonight I tried something new, tried to re-purpose a trick from Iron Chef America, and I got something very right. I made potsticker wrappers. At the grocery store this morning we bought wonton wrappers for gyoza and they were disgusting little brown things that I couldn't stand to use.


I don't think the picture does them justice but the row of square wrappers are the store bought ones. They look better in the picture than they did in person. The round ones are from this recipe.

Potstickers - or gyoza - are small dumplings that have a filling of either meat, vegetable or a combination of both. The wrappers are a thin, well, noodle. You can buy them but they are so easy to make.

Potsticker (gyoza) wrappers
2 cups AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup boiling water (plus a bit more if you need it)

Use chopsticks to "whisk" the salt and flour together. Slowly add in the water while "whisking" until it will form into a ball. Add more water if it's too dry. Take the ball of dough and put it in a bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let it sit for an hour or more so that the starches can hydrate. Take the ball of dough and start kneading it (it will go very flaky on you for a while but will smooth out in about 3 minutes. Go a bit longer until it is very smooth. A total of 5 minutes. Here is the new (to me) and cool ('cause I'm a geek) part. Use your pasta machine to roll the dough out to the thinnest setting. Use a 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut out your wrappers. I got over 50 out of my ball of dough! Now make potstickers. What are you waiting for? Oh, a recipe? I'll post that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment